"If you’ve ever wondered why some fonts look smaller than others at the same typeset size, or why the vertical space between lines of text is such a guessing game, this post is for you."
Mixing Typefaces (PDF)
A cross-reference that indicates the degree of compatibility between fonts. This is ideal for selecting combination of fonts for a layout, though I wish it were newer and included a larger set (it was created in 1992).
Type on the Web – An Evolutionary Shift
For designers and anyone interested in typography on the Web, I highly recommend you check out Web Font Specimen and the A List Apart article “Real Web Type in Real Web Context” that explains it. As we near a point where real typographic controls and options are available to us, its pivotal time for professionals to step up and gain (or remember) skills that haven’t been of use on the Web. The gap between good and great designs and designers will grow and the differences will be much more apparent at a glance and in the details.
If you haven’t had a chance to play with Typekit or learn about the various font embedding options (see The Potential of Web Typography: and Bulletproof @font-face Syntax) recently layered into browsers, now’s a good time to fatten up a few brain cells.
Sarah and I have spent a bit of time of late talking about, and looking at fonts for use in her resume. In addition, I have been doing a good bit of design work for personal sites, so I have been in search of several fonts that are ‘perfect’ for the design at hand. So, I have decided to compile a compendium (that is a fun word to say – try it) of font sites that meet the following criteria:
- Provide quality fonts
- Are not hosted on a free server (Geocities and the like) as those sites tend to disappear
- Are not providing illegal font downloads – as best as I can tell at least
While there are a ton of font sites out there, most of them overlap. As it is rather pointless to list sites with the same content, I try to choose the sites that are stable and easy to use. If you notice that any of these links are broken, use pop up ads (which my browser blocks) or have suggestions for additional sites, please drop me a line or leave a comment!
Of Special Note
- WhatTheFont – If you are trying to identify a font used in an image, give this immensely helpful and easy to use tool a shot.
Professional Font Foundries & Sellers
- 2 Rebels – Edgy fonts for the most part
- Astigmatic One Eye Typographic Institute – Beautiful site, unique fonts, and great prices.
- Blambot Comic Fonts and Lettering – Professional and free fonts
- Blue Vinyl Fonts – Professional and free fonts available
- Chank – Creative, yet readable
- Comic Book Fonts – Professional fonts for comic books – far beyond Comic Sans
- The Font Bureau – A large selection of beautiful, readable fonts
- Font Diner
- Fonthead Design – Also have some free font
- Fonts.com – ” [T]he Internet’s best selection of fonts for preview, purchase and immediate download. Fonts.com is also the place to find the latest typographic news, tips, and typeface releases.”
- House of Lime – $5 per font for commercial use. Personal use only requires a link back
- ITC Fonts – Has “a library of more than 1,500 classic typefaces and innovative new designs”
- Letterhead Fonts
- Linotype – Over 5,000 professional typefaces.
- My Fonts – “[O]nline source for finding, trying, and buying fonts. With over 36,000 fonts…”
- Nick’s Fonts – A “growing collection of tantalizing and tasty typefaces, based primarily on authentic historical sources”
- P22 Type Foundry – “[T]ypefaces inspired by Art, History, and sometimes Science.”
- Pizza Dude – Some great for purchase and free fonts
- Typodermic– Fonts created by the man behind the free font site Larabie Fonts (see below)
Font Collection Sites & Free Fonts
- Luc Devroye
- Microsoft Typography Links – A solid resource for type designers, and those interested in the field
Note about Comments: I have disabled comments as this post has become a popular target for comment-spammers. Please feel free to contact me with any suggestions you may have for this list.